Getting Married in Thailand

What do I need to marry my Thai girlfriend in Thailand?

Whether you are a foreign national and you want to marry a Thai national, or you are a couple of foreign nationals and you want to get married in Thailand, you will have to fulfill certain conditions before completing the marriage.
Marriage in this country will be recognized and legalized according to the laws of this country only if it is valid following Thai law. It is not enough to organize just one ceremony for your marriage to be valid in Thailand.
The process of obtaining a marriage visa and completing it may take longer if you are not familiar with the laws and rules of this country. Remember that J&E Concierge Pattaya is here for you and remember that if you are both foreign nationals, all the documents and formalities must be done for each person.
The first thing you need to do is go to your Embassy to get a Freedom Statement that will allow you to get married in Thailand.
You will also need your passport, and if you have been married before, you must have with you the documents attesting that you have consumed your previous marriage and that you are no longer married.
If this certificate is not in English you will need to make sure that it is also accompanied by an English translation and only the original documents or certified copies are accepted.
Because certain new requirements have been implemented, your passport will have to be certified by the Embassy and then it must be translated into Thai.

CALL US – 081 865 8910
Assisted Customers
Satisfied Customers
Marriage Visa Obtained

                                          Can you work in Thailand on a marriage visa?

The next thing you need to do is get the statement but also the passport authentication translated into Thai. An official from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will stamp the statement and the translation of your passport
The marriage visa in Thailand allows foreign nationals who want to get married here, to stay on the territory of the country for one year after marriage. This visa meets the rest of the requirements imposed by the Immigration Bureau. Your marriage visa can be renewed every year, and you will do so in Thailand.
If the person who has a marriage visa in Thailand and has the opportunity to obtain a work permit can work in the territory of Thailand.
This can help future employees because their employers will not have to worry about getting a work permit.
It is important to remember that there is no special application for the approval of the marriage visa, you just have to respect the requirements and the totality of the factors that lead to obtaining this type of visa.
Before applying for a marriage visa, you must have a non-immigrant visa or a 90-day visa. Once you have obtained this visa and you are not in the territory of Thailand you will have to come to this country for the visa to become valid.
To turn the non-immigrant visa into a marriage visa, you will have to prepare all the necessary documents.
It will be canceled within the last 30 days of your 90-day residence permit. This visa extension application will be made and will be submitted to the Immigration Office together with all the documents required for the visa application. The processing period of this visa may take about one month before you are issued with a Thai marriage visa
The foreign citizen who already benefits from a tourist visa can apply for a marriage visa as well, as he/she has met all the requirements of the non-immigrant visa and the extension visa requirements for one year, and this can work at the Immigration office in Thailand.

                                                      Is marriage legal in Thailand?

After obtaining the marriage visa, the citizen or foreign citizens who have it will have to submit a notification to an immigration office regarding the address and current residence, every 90 days. If you are not in the country when the 90-day period has passed, the next report you will have to submit will start from the moment you enter Thailand again.
If you want to travel and leave Thailand during the year the visa is valid, you need a multiple re-entry permit to do so, and in this way, you will avoid canceling the visa.
You can apply for this reentry permit at the nearest Immigration Office or even at the international airport before leaving the country. The marriage visa is valid for one year and can be renewed according to the same requirements, but the required amount of funds to be deposited in your bank account must be present there at least 3 months before the marriage visa can be renewed.
In the event of a divorce, the marriage visa will no longer be valid and you will have to leave the country, but in certain cases, you will be allowed to remain in Thailand until the end of the visa validity
If the marriage was performed in the territory of Thailand, you can get the marriage certificate from the district office in the city where you married. If you have formalized your marriage abroad, the marriage certificate must be translated into Thai, then the translated certificate must be submitted to the Consular Affairs Department to be stamped and approved, and when they approve the certificate of marriage. translated marriage, you will have to take it to the district office in the city where you live and you will be issued a Thai certificate based on it
If you are a Thai speaker or one of your spouses is a Thai citizen you can do this translation, and the MFA will also have a detailed explanation of each document.

Recent Posts

Getting Married in Thailand
CALL US – 081 865 8910
Last updated on: 13.07.2020 – 8:12


  1. Patrick November 4, 2019 at 11:37 am - Reply

    Ampur in Banglamung has said it can take up to 3 months if not done at the main ampur in BKK.

  2. TaxiMad August 16, 2019 at 5:49 pm - Reply

    If you are a falang marrying a Thai you can no longer do it at any ampur in Thailand. You have to make an appointment at the main ampur in BKK and they only allow 10 appointments per day?

    • John September 16, 2019 at 5:03 pm - Reply

      I agree but this information is directly from the staff in the ampur?

    • GradeAmore September 16, 2019 at 7:30 pm - Reply

      Not visa related. Moved to here. What Ampure told you that? I suggest you go to another one and ask about registering your marriage.

    • BloomYou September 17, 2019 at 10:24 am - Reply

      Did you have all of the required documentation? Maybe you didn’t and that is why they directed you to go to Bangkok.

    • Steve September 17, 2019 at 12:14 pm - Reply

      Hope this isn’t anything to do with the Ubon amphur, I’m going there in 2 weeks!

    • J&E Concierge September 17, 2019 at 3:25 pm - Reply

      Hello there, save your time and get in touch with us. Our team will help you get you marriage visa. Thank you

  3. Arthur August 11, 2019 at 11:19 am - Reply

    My fiancee and I are coming to Bangkok in July to be married. Since having made all our plans, we have found out that it is now a rule of the Philippine Government that any of their subjucts getting married, have to obtain a License from their Embassy, and the Embassy must post the license application in the diplomatic system for a period of 10 days before they will issue the license. Is that true?

    • ForeverAlone August 6, 2019 at 2:21 pm - Reply

      You need to get the translations verified at the Thai consular place near the airport. that’s 800 baht for quick turnaround (took me half hour) or 400 baht for a couple of days.

    • KarimKim August 11, 2019 at 12:32 pm - Reply

      She needs to go to the Philippine Embassy and make a Statutory Declaration that she is free to Marry, you also need to do the same at the “Hall of Shame”, sorry the Australian Embassy.

Leave A Comment