Marriage Visa Thailand

Marriage Visa
Assistance Fee: 5,000 Baht (excluding visa fee)

Online, on holiday, at the bar, it does not matter where you fell in love, it just matters that you did.

Many of you may find yourselves lucky enough to have found the one and tied the knot and if any social media aren’t enough to keep the romance alive, you may want to think about moving to Thailand on a marriage visa.
The marriage visa is a tad tricky to understand, in that it is actually technically known as a 1 Year Extensions of Stay Based on Marriage.
The Thai marriage visa is just what it sounds like. It means you are legally married to a Thai national and have met certain documentary and financial prerequisites .
Immigration may visit your home and ask your neighbors to confirm that they know you and your wife as a couple. This is to determine that it is not just a marriage of convenience in order for you to get visa. Providing that you have a good relationship with your neighbors this should be a fairly straight forward procedure.

CALL US – 081 865 8910
Assisted Customers
Satisfied Customers
Marriage Visa Obtained

Thailand Marriage

The Thailand Marriage visa also allows the holder to work in Thailand when the visa holder to obtain a valid Thai work Permit to go along with the visa.
Visas are different than passports in that they show why it is you are going to another country, as well as how long you plan on staying there.

This is considered also an advantage to prospective foreigner employees as the employer would only have to concered about the procurement of work permit.

Documents Need

You can apply to live in Thailand long term if you are married to a Thai or if you have a Thai child or children. If you have children together it is always advisible to show the birth certificates as well.
The marriage visa for Thailand is issued at a Thai Embassy in your home country and it is normally issued as a single entry visa and valid for 90 days once you enter Thailand.You must remember if the documents are only in Thai you must get them translated to English .
Foreigners who are legally married to a Thai national may apply for a Non-immigrant O visa based on marriage in Thailand witch can only be obtained from your home country/country of residence.
These are the documents need to start the process and will get you a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa. certain embassies want to see at least 100,000 THB in a Thai bank account to issue you with a multiple entry “O” visa or marriage visa. These do vary from embassy to embassy. Once you enter Thailand you have 90 days to extend this visa for 1 year and this process normally takes 3-4 weeks to complete.
They will need the following documents for the extension for the visa:
-copy of your passport.
-copy of your Thai marriage certificate (both versions).
-copy of your Thai wife’s ID card.
-copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan (House Papers).
-copy of a map to your residence in Thailand.
-copy of photos showing you and your wife together.
-copy of your bank book showing 400,000 THB in your bank account/copy of your income showing 40,000 THB per month in income.
-if you are a foreign lady married to a Thai man then there is no financial requirement for your extension of stay .
Other documents that may be required to be presented:
-Police Clearance
-Medical Certificate

Marriage Visa Application

These are not required if the visa application is submitted inside Thailand though there are rare occasions, however when an official from the Thai embassy or consulate may ask for these documents before issuance of the visa.
When you have collated both copies of the documents you will then submit them to the Thai Immigration in your home area. They will check your documents and, if the Immigration officer verifies the documents are satisfactory, you will be granted a one month ‘under due consideration period.
As stated the process takes about 3 weeks and you would need to ensure once it is issued that you obtain a re-entry permit to ensure that when you leave Thailand and return that you do not invalidate the extended visa. With this extended visa you do not need to leave Thailand every 3 months to activate another leg of your visa. You only need to report your home address to Thai immigration every 90 days.

Reminders to the Thailand marriage Visa holders

-90 days reporting :-This is needed once you obtain a marriage visa. Notification witch the nearestImmigration office about your current address or residence is required every 90 days. If you are not in the country when the report is due, the counting of 90 days period before your next reporting will start again after upon re-entry to Thailand.

-Re-entry Permit: -If you plan to travel in and out of Thailand during the year of your visa validity ,you will need a multiple re-entry permit to do so and to avoid your visa from getting cancelled.Otherwise you need not applu if you plan to stay in Thailand the whole time .

-Bank Account: -The marriage visa is valid for 1 ywar and can be renewed by presenting the same requirements during the initial application.Please note that the required amount of founds in your bank account must be at least 3 month old before your can renew your visa.

 After you have seen all steps you need to get a marriage visa and you know all documents you need for getting one J & E Visa services can make all the arrangements to help you get you married visa.You must know that the legal one is approved by the local government offices.

Related Posts

Marriage Visa

CALL US – 081 865 8910
Last updated on: 07.07.2020 – 22:57


  1. Tom August 17, 2019 at 10:09 am - Reply

    I want to change my valid retirement Visa in November this year into a marry visa , I do have all necessary documents , we are married since 3 years registered in Thailand and my home country (Swiss) one document, the Immigration from Jomtien asking is ” letter of cerfication issued by embassyattesting that a person had not registered his marriage prior to marriage” what this means and which embassy thai in Europe or my embassy in BKK … can you helpe me in this case… so I can provide you all necessary paperwork end this year.

    • J & E Concierge Pattaya August 17, 2019 at 2:11 pm - Reply

      Hello Tom.
      We will contact you shortly via mail.

  2. RedandWhite July 7, 2019 at 5:10 pm - Reply

    How much does a Thai marriage visa cost?

    • J&E Concierge July 8, 2019 at 12:01 pm - Reply

      Hello there, feel free to get in touch with us, and our team will answer to all your questions. Thank you

  3. Thailandlover55 May 15, 2019 at 3:59 pm - Reply

    What do I need to marry my Thai girlfriend in Thailand?

    • J&E Concierge May 16, 2019 at 1:00 pm - Reply

      Hello Thailandalover, please feel free to get in touch with us and we will provide you any information about all documents needed. Thank you

  4. JohnField March 18, 2019 at 6:08 pm - Reply

    I am on holiday at the moment with the wife in thailand but when i get back to england want to start the process of getting a marriage visa to stay in thailand Am retired aged 60 and not looking for work.Anyone been through this process with any tips would be good and any good law firms that can be recommended to help would be useful. Thank you

    • J&E Concierge March 19, 2019 at 10:33 am - Reply

      Hello John, we would feel pleased if you would like to get in touch with us, be sure we will provide you any information and we can also help you getting the marriage visa. Thank you

  5. BroomBack February 2, 2019 at 2:08 pm - Reply

    Hello, I have a VISA-O and I got a permit of stay of 3-months at the airport, can I extend my permit of stay for 2 more months based on my marriage? Thanks!

    • J&E Concierge February 3, 2019 at 7:58 am - Reply

      Hello there, please get in contact with us and we will provide you any information you may need. Thank you

  6. OzzonMan October 24, 2018 at 2:07 pm - Reply

    Hello I need to extend my marriage visa and wanted to check if the documents are the same as before. Last year was my first time applying for this type of visa so just wondered if the process is the same.

    • J&E Concierge October 25, 2018 at 10:57 am - Reply

      Hello OzzonMan, we can provide you these information, all you have to do is to get in touch with us as soon as you can. Thank you

Leave A Comment